top of page
  • Writer's picturedjw22812

Halloween Chocolate Canine Toxicity

Updated: Nov 9, 2020

HALLOWEEN is here and chocolate is plentiful in many homes but the last thing you want is your dog to get a hold of this sweet, delicious yet toxic (to dogs) treat.

Here are some signs that your pup may have indulged without your knowledge:

  • Extreme thirst

  • Vomiting

  • Diarrhea

  • Agitation

  • Muscular rigidity

  • Hyperactive behavior

  • Excessive panting

  • Pacing

  • Seizures

If you suspect your dog has eaten chocolate, you should call your vet right away to assess the situation. Describe the amount of chocolate, the type of chocolate, and the timing, and your vet can then tell you what to do. If your veterinarian confirms chocolate toxicity, they will most likely induce vomiting or administer activated charcoal which absorbs a toxin like chocolate and promotes its removal from the body via the bowels.


bottom of page